Wednesday 30 October 2013

Females and Aspergers Syndrome

As promised I am publishing a blog about females and Asperger's. I thought the best way to explain Aspie girls is to have someone with more knowledge than me in this area. I would like to share with you a video by Willow.  The video is about her personal experience as an Aspie  and her thoughts on girls on the spectrum.

Willow is a young woman with Aspergers Syndrome, Attention Deficit Disorder, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia. She runs a YouTube page and a forum where she aims to help other people on the spectrum. You can find more about her on her website: http://www.willowhope.com/



Would love to know your thoughts on this subject, especially what you think about the ratio of females to males diagnosed and the general difference in behaviour between males Aspies and female Aspies.

Thanks for reading my blog and stay tuned for more updates!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Willow. I am Shelley, and I am 48 years old. There has always been something "off" about me when it came to relating to the female gender and that began around puberty, a lot like you. Your story really hit home with me. Girls with Asperger's and Dyslexia are good at flying under the radar and remaining unnoticed, so as to not draw negative attention to themselves. I did manage to marry at 20, as I found guys easier to relate to, and one of my sons has been diagnosed with Asperger's and I strongly suspect my one daughter has it as well, and dyslexia too. Sadly, testing is so difficult to attain here in Canada due to funding cut-backs. The public school system here has failed my girl miserably so I am homeschooling her, but that isn't going so well as I haven't found any tools yet without a solid diagnosis to back me up. I still haven't any friends; I prefer the company of my kids and pets to anyone else or would rather be alone, reading or watching a movie and escaping into that world. I just accept myself as who I am. I have Fibromyalgia and arthritis so I don't have to face the workforce any more, thankfully. Perhaps because women have jobs that are of less status (usually) their Asperger's would be less apparent. The less schmoozing you have to do, the better. Just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley, I'm sorry to hear you've had a hard time with things, and are having to home school your daughter - that wasn't really an option for my Mum I don't think. I can't imagine having to work, and I don't think I'd end up in a very good job, despite probably being able to, technically - I much prefer doing writing and things from home!

      Delete